Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tolliver Takes Second-Round Lead at American Century Championship

Lake Tahoe, Nev. -- Two-time winner Billy Joe Tolliver, a former NFL quarterback, made six birdies and an eagle on his way to scoring a record 33 points Saturday. Tolliver took an 11-point lead over actor Jack Wagner after two rounds of the American Century Championship at the Edgewater Tahoe Golf Course. The event uses a Stableford scoring system, with 6 points for each eagle, 3 for each birdie and a point for each par.

The long-hitting Tolliver overtook the first-round leaders with three birdies over the first four holes. His stroke play score was a 6-under-par 66.

“I’m trying to score 25 points every day,” said Tolliver, who won the celebrity event in 1996 and 2005. “If I get that Sunday, someone will have to do something ridiculous to catch me. But nothing is safe out here. I know I can’t shoot bogey-free, so if I don’t make a couple birdies, people can still catch me. I have to take advantage of the birdie holes again tomorrow.”

Wagner, who shared the first-round lead with former NHL player Jeremy Roenick, birdied the last hole to finish with 21 points Saturday and a 47-point total.

“If I can get 33 points, a lot of these guys out here can get 33 points,” said Tollilver. “The difference today for me was that I made the putts and Jack (Wagner) just missed by the slightest bit. I also got all the par 5s.”

Dan Quinn, another former hockey player, is in third place with 46 points, and Hall-of-Fame quarterback John Elway was another point back with 45 points.

“If I can’t catch him, it’s okay with me if we keep the winner in the quarterback fraternity,” said Elway.

Defending champion Rick Rhoden is well back with 35 points. Crowd favorite Charles Barkley is in last place with -59 points.

No comments:

Blogging direct from Edgewood, TahoeCelebrityGolf.com takes you on the Golf Course

Bookmark and Share