Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Can Wagner Hold Off Romo At This Week’s American Century Championship


South Shore, Lake Tahoe, Nev. – The top two finishers from a year ago return to the American Century Championship at the Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course this weekend, with actor Jack Wagner wondering if he can again hold off quarterback Tony Romo and win consecutive titles.

“I just won a golf tournament,” said Wagner last year after holding off Romo 80-77 in a 54-hole tournament that uses a Stableford scoring system that awards graduated points for pars or better. Wagner, who also won in 2006, is one of four players to have played in all 22 past Tahoe celebrity events.

Romo, an amateur player who is good enough to have tried to qualify for the last seven U.S. Opens, remembers the 8-iron miss on the final hole that left him short of the title.

“I just missed a key shot coming down the stretch,” said Romo, who will report to Dallas Cowboys training camp next week. “But anytime I play in something, I think I can win. I’ve played pretty well this summer and if my putter is working, my game is pretty sharp.

Romo teamed with quarterback Aaron Rodgers Wednesday in a practice round against NBC producer Tom Randolph and announcer Mark Rolfing. And Rodgers showed promise to improve on his tie for 39th place last year. He drove the par 4 315-yard second hole, and fell just short of reaching the par-5 third hole in two shots.

“I’ve been working on my game, but I have to be realistic” said Rodgers, who also will report to training camp next week in Green Bay. “I’d like to think I can be in the top 25 this week. If I can get off the tee, I’ll do okay.”

The all-time favorite celebrity playing on the 6,875-yard layout is Charles Barkley, who has played each year since 1993. Last year Barkley tried a new trick to improve; swinging at his tee shots with his eyes closed. It didn’t work.

The event will be televised by NBC Sports Network from 4-7 p.m. (ET) on Friday and by NBC on Saturday and Sunday from 3-6 p.m. (ET).


By Craig Smith, former director of media relations for the U.S. Golf Association.

No comments:

Blogging direct from Edgewood, TahoeCelebrityGolf.com takes you on the Golf Course

Bookmark and Share