Friday, July 19, 2013

Separated Shoulder Keeps Barkley from Playing in American Century Championship

South Shore, Lake Tahoe, Nev. – Charles Barkley played his entire NBA career without any shoulder problems. But, when the basketball Hall-of-Famer visited a weight room in Lake Tahoe for a workout earlier this week, he felt something snap in his left shoulder.

“I was lifting weights yesterday and something went,” said Barkley Thursday. “I separated my left shoulder. I was bench pressing and I heard something snap. I knew I was in trouble then. I tried to play today but it was a “no go.” I’m done. I am going to have to have surgery next week.

“I am going to stay here and hang out though. The people here are fantastic and I feel an obligation to them and an obligation to the tournament.”

Barkley has played in all but one celebrity tournament in Lake Tahoe since 1993, and there is no doubt he is the crowd favorite. The American Century Championship is in its 24th year. The event is being played at the Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course, where Dan Quinn is the defending champion.

The event will be televised by NBC Sports Network from 4-7 p.m. (EDT) on Friday and by NBC on Saturday and Sunday from 3-6 p.m. (EDT).

By Craig Smith, former director of media relations for the U.S. Golf Association.

Photo of Barkley courtesy of Jeff Bayer/American Century Championship

4 comments:

Marko Peltonen said...

Where can I find a link for live scoring?

dogleg left said...

A separated shoulder couldn't hurt Barkley's score...he should've played.

The Two Duffers said...

Hi Mark,
We have added a link in the right column at the bottom of the blog. http://www.scoring.r2it.com/golf/acc/Leaderboard.aspx
Thank You!

The Two Duffers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogging direct from Edgewood, TahoeCelebrityGolf.com takes you on the Golf Course

Bookmark and Share